Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Something to ponder from Quitter

I was reading "Quitter", by John Acuff, and I came across a thought that made me stop and think. Don't you love it when a book can do that?
 In chapter 7- "Learn to Be Successful at Success"- Mr. Acuff  is talking about success, and how your dream can impact the world around you more than you know.  He states: "…as a mom or dad, your dream decisions will greatly impact the lives of your children."

I had to pause and think about how my decisions, especially my passion for performing, have affected my boys. There are positives and negatives. On the positive side, I get to share experiences with them, and they get to see their dad succeed at something he loves and enjoys. They may even find inspiration in what I do.
The negative? I miss out on spending time with them. I miss special days or trips because I'm involved in a show, or I'm away somewhere instead of at home. This bums me out, and I miss them. There has to be balance. I have to be 'home' when I'm home, and 'there' when I'm there.

He also writes about how success can make one arrogant. I know I'm pretty good, but I don't ever want my God-given talents and gifts to cause me to sin and forget that without His strength, I'm nothing. Thankfully, I have plenty of people in my life who keep me in line.



No comments: