Friday, August 15, 2008

A little perspective, please...

Ok, so it's been a long, long time since I've blogged. The summer has gone by so quickly, and I just don't sit down to write often enough. (Can 'never' be considered not often enough? I'm not sure.)
Anyway- about perspective...
I auditioned for a commercial this week, thanks to my buddy Jimbo, who owns a studio in Chicago. It was a thirty second spot for Midwest Lottery, a combined effort of Kansas and Iowa. I had a great time recording the jingle, and was hopeful that I'd get it. There were three of us in contention, and we were referred to as singers A, B, and C. I was singer A, since I was first to record at the studio. Well, I received the call yesterday that they chose singer C, but they really liked my version, too. I guess you could say I got the Silver medal. I think singer C's name was 'Phelps" or something like that... I'll post the audio, if you'd like to hear it.
Needless to say, I was a bit bummed that I didn't get the gig, since it paid over $500., and I had plans already in motion for that money. (Sorry honey- no shiny new dishwasher this week...). I spent part of the day in a funk, and was not very motivated to do anything. It seems silly now, but I guess it affected me more than I thought it would.
Then the call came...
Our good friend Charity called my wife to tell us that her brother has been given only 2-4 months to live. He has been battling small cell lung cancer, and just received the bad news from his doctors. That means that, unless God heals him, which He certainly can do, in less than six months his kids will lose their daddy, and his wife will lose her husband.

And I was having a bad day because I didn't get a 30- second commercial about gambling. God forgive me for being so self-centered. He certainly has a way of putting things into perspective, doesn't He?

Please pray for Dave and His family, and for our friend Charity. They need supernatural healing and grace right now, and we believe that can only come from one source- Almighty God.

1 comment:

The Kempiak Party of Five said...

Sometimes we need those "knock downs". We'll be praying. In the meantime, post your jingle and tell Jimbo hello from us.

Jon's coming to Chicago in a few days. Call and he'll give you the details.